Devouring Darkness: Whitelisted server STILL open

Not sure. Lilfyrr died suddenly, several times. Then he begged for a rollback. =]

We’d have to ask him the specifics. I agreed because we caught it fast and I was just logging in at that time. Sometimes you can get a small lag spike or race condition when a player newly joins (looking at you AE). I felt my new login likely added to the issue.

I hope it was something as exciting as a nuclear reactor blowing!

3 Likes

ZFS is so awesome. BTRFS is pretty close too, though ZFS is still better I think…

1 Like

Tis a thing of beauty. Outputting from AE, Railcraft dropping the right recipe. HV warming it up. Outputting 18 iron per cycle.

4 Likes

Also my updated AE2 controller array.

16 channels x 32 nodes = 512 devices!

Basically it’s 4 ME controllers in a vertical line, with each of the 16 colors of dense cable on the sides. The top connects to uncolored fluix cables, and the bottom face has one short cable for a few basic items.

The uncolored fluix network is only for P2P connections (16 x 2 p2p) and has power connected.

4 Likes

Next up: Carved pumpkin farm

3 Likes

As I understand it, the server is installed at your home. I was wondering what kind of processor and how much RAM does your server have? Is it enough for your tasks? How many players are playing on your server?

2 Likes

Unrelated to this server but recently I was considering returning to this server, unfortunately I found an Italian GT2 server with some cool features so I guess I’m still not coming back? I did manage to find a way to reduce my ping when connecting to European servers though. Also, GT2 feels so different from more recent versions of Gregtech, the mod really came a long way.

4 Likes

I have a Dell Poweredge T430 with “Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240L v5 @ 2.10GHz”, 32GB RAM, and 16TB RAIDZ ZFS. It runs FreeBSD.

It’s not stressed at all by hosting DD. I’ve hosted several Minecraft servers at once and Factorio. This is not just for DD.

Generally the key is how many loaded chunks is the server keeping loaded. I minimize chunk loaders. I also pregenerate the map out to the world boundary. The most consistent cause of server lag is chunk generation.

4 Likes

I still remember a server one of my classmates hosted was basically unplayable for a few days. I was admin so I saw console messages talking about “oversized chunks”, so I went to look for the oversized chunks, and I found two things: the CHUNK was 12MB, and at the location of the oversized chunk, I found a string dupe machine that one of my stupid friends forgot to turn off. Was fun seeing their reactions after finding out that they caused the issues themselves :wink:

(Also we were using hosting service and the guy who bought the server is very rich so we got very good specs, I think we have 20GB memory or something)

3 Likes

I’m surprised that you only have 4 cores enough for several servers with mods. On the forums, I was recommended to buy an amd desktop processor, since their clock speed is higher (3700x, 3800x, 3900x, 5700x, 5800x). I myself thought that xeon would not transfer more than 5 players on a server with gregtech and several mods for mobs (and there are 85 mods in total). Apparently, pre-creation of the map significantly reduces the load.

1 Like

Huh? My personal Modpacks do run fine on a Quadcore Celeron and eight gigs of ram. Sure it takes like 15 minutes to actually start minecraft on that particular Machine with a heavy Modpack, but it works.

And Servers dont have the restrictions of rendering Stuff at the same time, so they are more lightweight than that generally.

The only REAL issue is Players that find a fun new exploit that lags the Server to shit, or a Chicken Farm. Luckily the Chicken Farm issue is something i fixed back in GT5, so that is a nonissue now, heck Mojang even copied the entity cramming mechanic i invented. XD

1 Like

This is great news, which will probably save me money) I hope a server for 5-10 people won’t be expensive for me

Chicken Farm? Please tell us more about this problem.

1 Like

Hundreds of Chickens put above ONE hopper, laying eggs and perpetually dispensing those Eggs to increase the amount of Chicken further!

1 Like

Is that why too many entities in one place hurt entities now? I sometimes hear chickens squawk when they get in a single tile. Zombies too.

1 Like

Load your Minecraft savegame into RAM disk, saves wear on your SSD.

Pregenerate the world and set world borders.

Disable easy chunkloading, or set a limit per player.

Reduce the render distance to 6.

Give enough RAM to the java process. Restart routinely because modded Minecraft can leak memory and slow down.

Play away!

3 Likes

But dont forget to make an Autosave of it to regular Disk every now and then, wouldn’t want something to lose power to RAM.

1 Like

There’s a lesson to be learned in using RAM disks. I’ll let it solve itself.

Jesus saves. (Jesus vs Satan Joke)

4 Likes

Im at risk to take this way too literally, you just meant regular saves right? not some special thing called “jesus save”? XD

2 Likes

Alas you can’t walk on water in DD to save yourself.

It’s just a joke about saving your work. ;]

2 Likes

After player demands, I’m here to post that the DD server is still open! Ha! Imagine that.

I won’t shut it down until no one logs in for a full 90 days, so it’ll be around for a while!

I’ve been asked to potentially extend the map and borders to give new players some space. If you’re interesting in playing please let me know, and I’ll widen the overworld again.

Enjoy!

4 Likes