Custom modpack launchers

So SadZombieLand is offline currently because our MCUpdater v3 launcher doesn’t work with the forced Micro$oft account migration. I’m trying to get MCUv4 working, but it’s being difficult.

What are others using for modpack distribution?

I’m considering running the offline auth mod on our server. However I still need an easy way for players to setup an instance to play, and keep synchronized with changes to the server config files.

Today MCUv3 would grab an inventory XML off my site, and pull the mods/configs from my self-hosted repository. I think it pulls the base game from Mojang. If the client differs, it updates the old files.

I was reviewing MultiMC, and while it looks easy to make a pack there’s only export to a zip file and no update mechanism.

My use case isn’t for a general distribution modpack, it’s synced to only play on the server for now.

Ideas?

2 Likes

So I’m evaluating PolyMC (multimc fork) to let clients download. I’m also looking at Packmaker to allow me to use one source repo to build client .zip and server. Should be interesting.

2 Likes

You know a thought, it would actually be pretty easy to PR in functionality to polymc to give it, say, a URL to an xml/json/whatever file somewhere full on links of stuff to grab and do whatever with? But why not just setup a multimc/polymc export then people can just upgrade whenever you update. Ooooor an even easier PR is to have polymc store a URL of where it downloaded in its own versioned pack and check it on occasion or via explicit update to see if there’s a new version (simple etag check or so on the server?)?

1 Like

Which is exactly what MCUpdater already did… I feel like I’m going backward.

2 Likes

Or rather it seems like MCU is dead if it isn’t capable of functioning with modern MS’y crappy changes? ^.^;

1 Like

Ah yes the Marvel Cinematic Universe is indeed dead. They really overdone it. XD

2 Likes

They updated. I just can’t seem to compile their code anymore without an overblown huge Java development environment. Where in v3 I could just use gradle and recompile, I spent a day debugging all these edge cases, trying 4 java versions, adding import statements, etc… I still can’t get it to compile. They do great work, but this feels like I’m trying to use a bleeding edge development version instead of a release, and I’m just not that good with Java code. It’s likely more me than them.

2 Likes

Should have made MCU in a better language, lol.

1 Like

Like PHP and NPM running as root.

2 Likes

Haha, less useful for other people to use then. :wink:

1 Like