Curved Wood Planks

Curved wood planks and species variations are currently uncraftable at least in my version. However curved wood is usually manufactured by first steaming wood then pressing it into shape.
I think it should be possible to recreate this process either through the autoclave to create steamed wood planks and then a roll bender to produce the curved plank or to forego the creation of steamed wood and producing curved wood planks in the autoclave directly?

I also see wood foil… not quite sure you can create a foil from wood but you can shave logs/beams to create veneer via turning them in a lathe.

Now the bigger question remains is there a point to this as curved wood planks and foils aren’t used for anything, :rofl: I suppose it would allow the creation of wooden rotors, might be useful for some sort of manual processing machine. :thinking:

2 Likes

Umm, we have barrels don’t we? Wooden fluid barrels and item barrels to be precise.
I definitely see a use for bent wooden planks.

The question is, what is the early game option?
There are other ways to bend wood besides steaming it, such as simply soaking it or kerfing (cutting slits) it. Kerfing could be an expensive and tool consuming process whereas steaming is free aside from the steam production itself.

There’s also a method that uses just regular heat. In fact, just leaving (non dried) wood in the sun will warp it towards the heat source, I.E the sun. But that is an unreliable method of bending wood. Could still be cool (and again, costly) for an early game option.

3 Likes

I’m all for adding uses to already existing items/material since GT does have a heck of a lot of those, but if you ask me when something can’t be crafted and can’t be used for anything that goes more into minetweaker territory than anything. I mean, technically speaking the game generates ores and items that do not exist and will never exist (and should not exist, like coal coke ore, just for a zany example). The entirety of GT’s bulk is mostly a waste byproduct of the metaitem function (or whatever it’s called) that’s run for all materials that can be made useful by adding recipes for it yourself. But even with craftable items, the fact the game gives you the option to create a robust anti-polonium machine casing does not imply that you should.

3 Likes

Oh and i forgot about boats… Bent planks could definitely be a must have item to make a boat.
Whereas the alternative to a boat is a raft, which would be a much slower version of the boat.

3 Likes

I agree with everything said here, especially an early game recipe for bent wood, but we need to consider the varying workload all of these ideas might entail. I suggested the autoclave recipe because much like minetweaker it’s simple to slot in another recipe, that’s why I suggested omitting the creation of the new item steamed wood plank to make it simpler.
Drying wood in the sun and the addition of a raft would require new items, blocks, visual models and new or modified code. Then you need to consider the balance, how is the boat better than a raft? Would people build boats if it’s easier to build a raft? You also need to consider how the change might affect other mod balance (though I don’t think the boat is all that used in any mod).

Kerfing is good because it consists of a simple recipe addition but is inefficient which pushes the autoclave as the preferred choice in later game, however it should include glue, kerfing by itself wouldn’t create a rigid structure.

2 Likes

You all seem to forget I could just add a Fluid Input Slot to the Bender. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also I obviously wont do Curved Planks, that would be way too much of a hassle.

2 Likes

That’s alright I think Cadde’s kerfing idea with a knife/saw and glue would be fine to add in with minetweaker if needed, but again I would point out nothing uses curved planks so I don’t think there would be any point to do so at this time. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes