Crucible won't fill mold

I have raw iron smelted in the crucible (pinkish color). I have molds adjacent on the sides of the crucible and when I right-click a inside the cut out area of one it doesn’t fill. What am I missing?

2 Likes

Are you doing the hematite recipe in the crucible? Because I remember iron being bright orange, while the input hematite was a pale pink-ish color. In that case, the hematite is probably liquid but the flux isn’t hot enough (or there’s not enough flux) to do the recipe.

1 Like

In addition to that, just to be sure, you did click in the correct spot in that Mold, right? Try clicking dead center just in case.

But yeah, Pink is a different Material, Iron is Orange when molten.

No this is raw iron not hematite which I also have. I figured raw is pure an didn’t think it needed anything else added. Does raw also need some form of coal or calcite?

1 Like

I’m using the ingot mold and clicked all inside the open area. I watched Bears Den vid, he clicked inside the mold near the circle ring thing. I did that too but it made no difference. I guess raw iron needs coal/calcite also?

2 Likes

Vanilla Raw Iron Ore is considered Hematite for all intents and purposes.

Black Sand is supposed to be the easy way to get Iron, not the original vanilla Ore. :wink:

1 Like

I believe a ratio of 5 hematite dust / 2 coal / 1 calcite will yield you 2 ingots of iron, make sure you have calcite and not limestone, smelt the limestone rocks for calcite, you can break limestone blocks with a hammer for more rocks. Do make sure you are using the purified dusts however. You may need to process your ores a little to get the ratio correct.
you want the temp to be around 1811K or so, you can get it a little hotter but too hot and you’re produce wrought iron. it’s still good but can’t be used for certain recipes. You can remelt the wrought if you want to try again. Make sure your crucible it made of clay(ceramic) as it can resist heat up to 2500K, but I wouldn’t push it past 2000K for safety.
a solid block is needed to stop the burning box, stay away from anything clear of not a full block, and remember that the burning box will stay lit until the currently burning material finishes, so consider swapping to combustibles with smaller fuel amounts like sticks, dry grass and bark for finer control near that temp range if you have trouble.

2 Likes

I just found that recipe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do I crush it? I can’t place it on the stone anvil I have.

1 Like

What exactly are you placing on the Stone Anvil? the “Raw Iron Ore” Item or the “Iron Ore” Block?

Was trying to place Raw iron Ore but it turned to iron scrap after putting it in the crucible. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yeah I’ve noticed certain raw ores can’t be placed on the anvil.
The crucible is a very early and crude way to refine your ore. Anything that can be smelted will turn into its base scrap when thrown in. As long as it’s cold to the touch you can then pull the scrap out and use it/grind it into dust. It’s a very wasteful method though and you should move onto better purifying methods as soon as possible.
You can use a shovel to remove scrap fast even when it’s too hot to touch but it’s pretty damaging to your shovel. You can also use a shovel to empty the burning box if you haven’t set it on a hopper yet to extract the contents.

2 Likes