About beginning

You seem to being stuck in architecture designing. As you said,

, you are worrying about bad design will harming future coding.

Take Minecraft as an example. In the beginning, it’s only a small demo which everyone can made. It hasn’t a great design, but it still made an achievement. So, you needn’t to make a perfect starting, do things freely is just ok.

Even if things got messy, the loss still will be small. To be frank, I don’t think mechaenetia can make such a result said in Ideas. In other hands, it means that failure can be remedy simply. It just like playing Factorio at first time: Building small factories, and destruct it—— then gain experience from it.

Also, you have made GregTech, it’s really such a great project. I don’t know if Overminddl1 takes part in it, but I’ve thought you are good enough on project managing, and he will also help you on project managing.

P.s. : I’m really not at argumentation( and English)…

2 Likes

Actually I think he’s more stuck on how to get started. I’m not sure greg’s ever started a project from scratch before, lol.

(I keep trying to hint he should start some little small things to get the feel of it, but he hasn’t yet. ^.^; )

2 Likes

Yeah, I am still stuck at the “overthinking the everything too much” stage. I am a very theoretical person in some cases…

Though I did write a piece of code for the Random Name Generator which reduced the List of “All mostly English Words that ever existed” to about ~33 Megabytes, recently.

3 Likes

If you need a concrete problem, you can copy my octree implementation into a blank rust library project under src/mod.rs. Just a couple steps

1. cargo new --lib octree
  2. [editor command] src/lib.rs
  3. Paste from codebox into lib.rs
  4. cargo test

As I posted it there are two build tests, one of which fails.

~Max

3 Likes

There’s quite a number of well tested and well optimized tree implementations out already as well, lol.

2 Likes

Do you recommend one for Mechaenetia?

Preferably suited to a Rust beginner?

I don’t know how much Greg has done in Rust, but for my part I did the book and the Amethyst example, ported a game from some really old BASIC book, wrote a trivial implementation of a .tga library, and then the octree thing. I was thinking, after I get/understand a working octree library I could create a project using that and the tga lib to render an octree. Then after that maybe a little Paint-like application to edit the octree.

~Max

3 Likes

I have thought GregTech is founded by Gregorius himself before…Isn’t him?

2 Likes

An “IC2 Addon” is not something that happens “from scratch”. I ripped off a lot of IC2 things early on. :wink:

1 Like

Probably will be more custom so as to hold data differently for LOD purposes (I.E. the intermediary nodes should also store data).

A Mod is very much not from scratch, you can literally start with one line of executable code and get something that does something, it’s very very different from starting something from scratch.

2 Likes