Upgrading crucible

I tried to upgrade my crucible aside from clay
First I thought I would use meteorite steel but it not enough.
So I plan to use molybdenum,but to form it,it need more temperature than meteorite steel crucible can handle.
I tried other way around to form it but I can’t.

Is there anyway to upgrade my crucible?
At least to be better than meteorite steel crucible.

Also,I see that there are red granite and black granite crucible,but when search on NEI it won’t show.

3 Likes

So there is a progression of crucibles and molds. To get higher temperatures, you have to make progressively tougher smelting gear. If you read the tooltips on each crucible, you’ll see the maximum temperature. Also check the melting point of the materials that make it.

There are many levels.

Normally I make a meteoric steel one after clay. I just upgraded to niobium yesterday.

2 Likes

Thank you,so I should upgrade it to niobium

I just don’t know see the path to upgrade my crucible.

2 Likes

I had to make a spreadsheet list of each crucible type by material melting point and crucible max temperature.

No guarantees that this is accurate or current.

3 Likes

Yeah Crucibles typically have a Melting Point of their Material multiplied by 1.25 for the small Crucibles.

1 Like

Shortest way is ceramic, chromium, iridium, osmium, tungsten. But iridium is hardest part, ehe

3 Likes

Yeah, where in the world do you find iridium?!

2 Likes

Platinum metals ores…?

3 Likes

Ok, just confirmed in NEI that Sheldonite has it as a byproduct. Just so rare.

2 Likes

Doesn’t Platinum Group Sludge exist for a reason? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Platinum ores placed in basalt above black granite. Every platinum group ore, aqua regia and steel centrifuge takes additional osmium and iridium. Just sheldonite washing and centrifuging is enough, lol.
Greg already made lots of ore production more profitable.

3 Likes

c’mon you don’t live until you produce your 7 plates of Niobium Titanium (and five for a plate mold), none of this Iridium lark.

3 Likes