Synthetic Graphite

Is there no way to make graphite in GT6 from carbon or coal? I didn’t find any according recipes in NEI, so I double check it here. If there are none, why so? I’ve read from Wikipedia that there are at least 6 ways to synthesize graphite.

2 Likes

Why? I think Graphite ore is quite common and plentiful.

3 Likes

Having a hard time finding a graphite vein?

3 Likes

No, I have a few graphite deposits, but I’m too lazy to mine it.

2 Likes

Anyway, I’ve found out that I can’t extrude it into rods for battery cells. It requires 512 HU/t to be extruded, hence titanium or tungsten carbide extruder. It’s easier for me to make tungsten carbide one (because there is no need to mine rutile or ilmenite for titanium one), but I don’t know if its power range will ever be needed. Seems like a waste of tungsten :thinking:

2 Likes

Keep in mind that the higher tier one also requires higher HU/t input and more HU per recipe, since you’re overclocking.
Also, I think scientifically speaking making Graphite Rod shouldn’t require such high tier Extruder. Soft carbonaceous materials can be extruded before heating to graphitizing. I suppose this one is game progression related instead.

3 Likes

With such small consumption, I guess you could even skip those ore processing steps and do some quick and inefficient grinding to get more than enough Graphite for your Battery needs.
Personally I’d still choose to do the regular processing anyway.

3 Likes

No, I never waste anything, I always do the most efficient processing or just pile things up for a better time. I even store bromine for no reason :brain:

3 Likes

This surprised me that it requires so much heat.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s modeled against heating Graphite to nearly it’s melting point and doing the extruding? Graphite has quite a high melting point (that it’s used as one of the common refractory materials).
While in reality you don’t have to heat it that hard to do the forming. You can graphitize it after you do the forming.

3 Likes

I think you need to bite the bullet and just go mining.

3 Likes

We already use carbon nanotubes in the loom. I don’t see why that couldn’t make graphite.

4 Likes

I found a stack of graphite somewhere in my cupboards, so there is no need for it now.

3 Likes

Uh yeah, probably not going to let you synthesize this. Especially if the reason is “too lazy to mine a dozen blocks”.

2 Likes