So Mojang is screwing everyone over again with yet another Account Migration

All I can hope for is that MultiMC will update to fix this for 1.7.10 and older Versions, because the official Minecraft Launcher, last time I checked, does not exist for Linux in any workable fashion, because I click Linux and it downloads the Windows Launcher instead from the Downloads Page, and that pile of garbage doesn’t run either…

This whole thing can pose an Issue for two Reasons.

1. The Launcher wont be able to log in anymore and requires an Update.
  2. I am not sure how Multiplayer Authentification works but it might also be broken in the same way if Servers suddenly cant validate Access Tokens anymore. A Launcher Update cannot fix that part if it gets broken.

This whole switching to Microsoft Accounts is mandatory starting somewhen in 2021, and ofcourse unavoidable. At the very least they could have kept the old Account System and only made it mandatory for new Minecraft Updates, but noooope…

I still run the last Linux compatible official MC Launcher by the way “1.6.89-j”, which is multiple years old by now, and even has some sort of fucked up “Auto-Download the Newer Launcher, when you click literally anywhere that is not a Button”-Functionality, when used on Windows.

Edit: Also some people don’t want to have a Microsoft Account, what is with those people? That is like the Oculus Hardware being f-booked.

Thanks for fucking up shit again Mojang, I guess.

4 Likes

I guess it’s like how they want everyone to “subscribe” to office 365 now instead of buying a copy of office. And Jira is doing the same thing so I guess I have to find a new bug tracker.

4 Likes

I don’t like the sound of this.
Microsoft have already gone out of their way to force Microsoft accounts for new installations of Windows, and now making it mandatory on applications. Too true with the similarities to the Facebookation of Oculus.
I bought an Oculus dev kit back in the day but jumped ship to Vive when Facebook got involved. I feel my days may be numbered on Minecraft. How’s progress on Mechaenetia Greg?

3 Likes

Somehow I am still stuck doing GT6. XD
As for that, thinking of a way to get the Food Crop Stuff atm.

Though considering that I do not want to migrate my MC Account (though I might end up doing so anyways), I might end up starting Mechaenetia properly somewhen in the middle of next year.

At the very least Microsoft Accounts are probably not as bad as Fbook ones, unless Microsoft decides to require a real life Identity or something in order for an Account to be made.

4 Likes

This and the 1.16.4-pre1 update is kind of like Minecraft is moving toward a more Online Game…
In case you don’t know about 1.16.4-pre1 update, it includes stuff like player mute and allowing single server (like a lobby) to contain up to 1000 player.

4 Likes

MultiMC will be updated eventually according to this: Microsoft is forcing use of Microsoft accounts for logging in as of 2021. What does this entail? · Issue #3392 · MultiMC/MultiMC5 · GitHub

So as long as MultiMC keeps working, I don’t see any real issue with the account migration. But I say that as a windows user, so I already have a Microsoft account.

3 Likes

Atleast it’s not f-book, but yeah I hope they update multi-mc and other stuff like the technic launcher.

2 Likes

Not all Windows users use Windows accounts, and would prefer to keep it that way. May need to move to other launchers if things go that way.

2 Likes

All launchers still have to authenticate using whatever account MS requires.

2 Likes

Not for SinglePlayer Games :wink:

1 Like

Single player doesn’t make any difference. You have to authenticate, or crack the game, which thanks to the stupid DMCA is illegal even if you own it.

2 Likes

Not if you literally just use a Firewall to prevent the Launcher from accessing the Internet. Because once you are logged in, you can play offline too, and there is as far as I know, no timeout for that Offline Login.

Also if it is for personal use it is legal on the DMCA part, since you literally dont distribute anything. That GitHub youtube-dl thing is NOT an actual DMCA takedown, GitHub just didnt have any infrastructure to block things and they had to act fast so they just used the DMCA as default, which kinda ended up misinforming people on what DMCA is and what it is not.

1 Like

It definitely has a timeout. If you don’t play for a week or two you have to go online to renew the token. I thought it would eventually time out even if you keep playing, but I could be wrong.

Nope, it isn’t. Circumventing a copy protection device is illegal, period, even if you are doing so to make fair use of your legally owned software. That’s why things like deCSS for decrypting DVDs aren’t widely distributed by linux distros that have a presence in the US; because it’s illegal to distribute a copy protection defeating device.

1 Like

Thing is, there is absolutely no copy protection for Minecraft to bypass, and that is also NOT part of DMCA, that is part of other very US specific Laws. And there is the thing about you being allowed to own ROM files for Games you already bought. As long as you dont redistribute them you are perfectly fine, legally speaking.

You are not allowed to share how you broke the copy protection, but you are allowed to break it for personal use.

It is very important that personal use is always fine for yourself, redistribution is not. Especially if you bought the Product. Which also includes stuff like DVDs.

1 Like

Sure there is; what do you think the login is for?

That was the case prior to the DMCA. Then it added a provision making it illegal to circumvent copy protection mechanisms. That is why copy restricted formats like the ones Apple uses to distribute music are so insidious. You may have bought the song, and you may have a copy of the file on your computer, but the moment Apple decides, for whatever reason, not to authenticate you to play it, you are screwed because it’s illegal to break the copy protection on it, even though you own it and are just doing so in order to listen to it.

It’s been probably 2 decades since I studied it so I may have forgotten, but I feel like that was not an exception granted. Either way, how many people are going to figure out how to crack it themselves? Not many.

I agree that it is important, and that is exactly why the DMCA is evil: it does make it illegal for you to circumvent the copy protection on that DVD that you own, even if it is only to play it on your Linux computer, which the powers that be have not authorized to be a valid player.

2 Likes

Multiplayer and downloading MC in the first place. Something that can be tricked into offline Mode by simply modifying System Time is not copy protection. System Time could change in many legitimate ways like Daylight Savings time yesterday did.

Thing is, they cannot check if you actually do that at all, so it’s absolutely unenforceable if you dont distribute it. Also the US isn’t the only country in the World.

1 Like

No, you also need to log in to play. After one successful login, you they let you go into offline mode for a time and continue to play, but you still had to authenticate in the first place.

I think a court would disagree. How easy it is to circumvent doesn’t change what it is.

Yep, but you changing the system clock in a way that isn’t legitimate in order to circumvent the copy protection doesn’t make it any less illegal. Plausible deniability doesn’t go very far.

Well, yea, so if you are one of the few people in the world smart enough to do it yourself you aren’t going to get caught. If you’re hoping for the masses to be able to do it though, they need a crack distributed, and that’s where they get you.

2 Likes

Which in my example I obviously did because I logged in before the Account Migration. :wink:

Also the Dev Setup for Forge then violates this law very hard, because THAT bypasses Auth completely.

What about the System Clock being Reset on every Reboot because of being 32 bit and not wanting to go into the second wave of the Y2K Problem? That one is definitely legitimate.

Also I once had a Computer with a broken System Clock so this can happen by accident too.

1 Like

Yes, but when those are NOT happening, and you’re just setting your clock back to extend the auth token, that crosses the line into intentional circumvention. Saying “but my clock could have been broken” doesn’t change that. Also that doesn’t help if you are new to minecraft and don’t have an old auth token to extend; you’re going to have to use the new account system.

1 Like

I think the main thing that pisses me off about this thing is that I got my MC account as a gift nearly a decade ago by an online friend across the globe I haven’t talked to in 5+ years and have no way to contact again, which means that the only way of logging in to play minecraft is to access it from multiMC’s name login instead of the MC account mail login. Whenever this change about two factor authentication rolls out, my original copy of minecraft won’t work anymore because I can’t get the account transferred, because I don’t have access to the original mail.
It’s bullshit.

4 Likes