Greg's Computer Stuff

So I finally decided to move over to a Linux based System. And I am switching from eclipse to IDEA too while I am at it.

I already did a lot of stuff as you might have seen on the Front Page of the Main Site already, but here I will post that one again.

Most things I got running so far, I basically just need to rewrite a lot of batch files to shell scripts, configure some backup utility and re-setup my Dev Environment. Everything else is already done and working, including Minecraft.

Symlinking all the “logs” and “screenshots” folders of all my Minecraft Instances, to funnel them into one Location is an awesome thing I wish Windows could easily do (there is ways to do that in Windows, but its generally not a good idea). So now I only need 4 direct links to log files on my Desktop instead of 20, and I now only have one Screenshots Folder instead of 6 (I don’t look at the logs for the Vanilla Instance, in case you did the Maths).

Also got an Equalizer running on the Audio System, something Windows only really could do if the Sound Card Supports it natively and even then wouldn’t allow that to be used on USB things. Perfect for automatically correcting Audio, and I even blacklisted VLC Media Player from that Equalizer, since it has its own integrated one I can disable on the fly if needed.

Modded Minecraft runs surprisingly well on a 1.1GHz Quad-Core. I got a mostly stable 20 FPS on the integrated Graphics of this thing earlier today. And that was on Bears GT6Lite Pack, which I don’t think should be called “Lite” anymore at all. It was hard finding the MC Launcher Version 1.6.89-j in order to have everything work properly with my Modpacks, because the new Launcher apparently propagated to Linux too now, so this old one got deprecated 3 months ago.

Configuring all of these things took ages, and if you don’t know what you do and don’t have Friends who know Linux, you should be very careful about switching from one OS to the other, but if you do a fresh start I would recommend Kubuntu for sure.

Reminds me that I got a new USB Stick that I want to install a functioning OS on for portable purposes. But I will figure that out later. Dev Environment should be worked on first, tomorrow morning.

Do any of you all have Ideas or Tips for me? Or simple Questions? ^^

4 Likes

As I already mentioned on IRC, save yourself the work of (re)creating your setup.
Once you start setting up that USB stick only do the partitioning, encryption and filesystem creation, then copy your current system (a few rsync invocations should do the trick).
Afterwards you only have to adjust a few key configs.

Stuff to adjust
  • /etc/fstab
  • /etc/crypttab (for encryption)
  • /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume (for hibernating / suspend-to-disk, assuming ubuntu uses the same system as debian)
  • bootloader (dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc, should be placed on the stick)
2 Likes

Yeah I plan to copy over a lot of things to that Stick, not 100% sure how I am gonna do it. It’s one of those things I am going to see when they happen. :wink:

And yes I plan to rsync a lot of specific stuff over. ^^

1 Like

Sounds great! Have you tried using multimc? that helps me keep modded mc instances organized. Also nice desktop background :wink:

1 Like

Another vote for MultiMC5 as well, linux .deb direct download.

4 Likes

Okay I gave up on the IDEA thing, way too many design choices that don’t go well with my workflow. Scrollbars are horrible (even with the Material UI Plugin thing, that at least removes Scrollbar Transparency), things where I wanna use the Mouse don’t pop up, and I would have had to use Keybinds for that to work (which is not good for my style of working), and worst of all it lags far worse than eclipse, and it lags at places that should not ever lag, like when I hover over something with the Cursor for less than a tenth of a second, because the Cursor happens to move over a Menu Point that takes ages to load (and doesn’t get cached whatsoever), while I am actually wanting to move the Cursor to a Menu Point way below that laggy one.

So IDEA isn’t suitable for me, and I went back to Eclipse. At least there Stuff works like I expect it to work, and it doesn’t fucking lag me to hell. Also I upgrade Eclipse from Indigo to Photon, so I went into the Error checker and found a nice Warning for “redundant code”, enabled the Warning and found about 1400 different places where redundant “” Erasures were placed. I fixed all of them ofcourse.

The only thing left to make my Dev Environment work is making the random Utility Scripts work that were .bat Files before. I am already capable of building GT6 again, and some of the Website Upload Scripts work too already. ^^

I also mapped Left-Win to Alt-Gr because the Ubuntu Devs refuse to support European Keyboard Layouts since a decade, and don’t even want to give us an option to make Ctrl+Alt work as Alt-Gr, like in Windows, just because some configurable default Keybinds would overlap or not work…

Greg
I also mapped Left-Win to Alt-Gr because the Ubuntu Devs refuse to support European Keyboard Layouts since a decade, and don’t even want to give us an option to make Ctrl+Alt work as Alt-Gr, like in Windows, just because some configurable default Keybinds would overlap or not work…

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I prefer other linux distributions instead of ubuntu/kubuntu.

1 Like

https://www.patreon.com/posts/20718854

Since it is linking to this Thread. ^^

I got my Screenshot uploading Script done. Now the only thing that is missing is me getting my lazy ass up and actually starting to work on shit! ;D

#!/bin/bash
NAME=$(find *.png)
if [ "$NAME" == *".png" ] ; then
    echo "Screenshot is being uploaded"
    curl -v -X PUT --data-binary @"$NAME" -u myusername:mypassword https://maven.gregtech.overminddl1.com/upload/com/gregoriust/gregtech/screenshots/$NAME
    if [ "$NAME" == "20"* ] ; then
        echo "Moving raw Screenshot"
        mv -t ./dev1710/ "$NAME"
    else
        echo "Moving named Screenshot"
        mv -t ./dev1710/Named/ "$NAME"
    fi
else
    echo "No Screenshot to upload, just uploading Caption!"
fi

(cd Website/backend ; ./uploadcaption.sh)
(cd Website ; ./regen.sh)

So I thought I might share my Script for downloading Youtube Videos, that I use on Kubuntu.

What this does is access the Clipboard Content, check if it’s a Youtube Link, and if it is, tries to download it. If it is not a Youtube Link it will prompt you to insert a Link instead.

If it got the Youtube Link from the Clipboard, it will place a copy of that Link with a prefixed space into the Clipboard in order to prevent duplicate download attempts.

The Download will be placed in /data/Downloads/ in my case, you may replace that with wherever the heck you want it to download to.

Once it has gotten the Link it will try downloading the Video at 240p using the Stutter Exploit (--retries infinite --socket-timeout 1) to avoid Youtubes Bandwidth throttling.

In case that fails, it will try to continue the same Download where it left off, but without the Exploit. Usually that will work in most cases, unless Youtube did not want to give you 240p at all.

And in case that happens and both fail, it will try to download the Video at 360p.

This may require sudo apt install xclip youtube-dl beforehand for the prerequisites.

#!/bin/bash
printf '\e[8;10;58t'

URL=$(xclip -o)

if [ "${URL: 0:15}" == "https://www.you" ] ; then
    (echo " $URL") | xclip
else
    echo Enter 240p URL: 
    read URL
fi

echo Downloading Video at 240p
youtube-dl $URL -f "best[height<=240]" -o "/data/Downloads/%(title)s.%(ext)s" --restrict-filenames --retries infinite --socket-timeout 1
if [ $? == 0 ] ; then
    sleep 10
    exit
else
    echo "ERROR!!! Trying again!"
    sleep 10
    youtube-dl $URL -f "best[height<=240]" -o "/data/Downloads/%(title)s.%(ext)s" --restrict-filenames --retries infinite
    if [ $? == 0 ] ; then
        sleep 100
        exit
    else
        echo "ERROR!!! Trying a last time at 360p!"
        sleep 10
        youtube-dl $URL -f "best[height<=360]" -o "/data/Downloads/%(title)s.%(ext)s" --restrict-filenames --retries infinite
        if [ $? == 0 ] ; then
            sleep 100
            exit
        else
            echo $URL failed!
        fi
    fi
fi

1 Like

You should github useful scripts for you like that, that way you get a full history and backup both. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I aint gonna use github, you know. I am waiting for someone to setup a git repo on a certain Server, remember? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Lol, when my house is finished being tiled then I will have my desktop back to do work on. ^.^;

1 Like

So I tried out the new Steam Play Beta, and it works perfectly fine with Sonic Mania Plus on my Machine. Even the Logitech XBox Controller works properly, and the Savegames got Steam Cloud synched too!

I did have to disable the Whitelist of Games ofcourse in order to try it on Sonic Mania.

Now I can remove that one part of the Title of this Thread :smiley:

1 Like

Lol!

You had good timing of the switchover and Steam adding that support. ^.^

Steam’s Proton is based on Wine 3.9 right now (or was it 3.8?), I hope it updates to 3.11 soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Steam Version of “Cossacks: Back to War” works via Proton too!

I also worked on plenty of other things for my Computer, like configuring a personal VPN that @OvermindDL1 has setup for me using OpenVPN in case I need to get around georestricted bullshit or illegal ISP behavior.

Changed my default DNS Server to use Google too now, since its better being tracked by google (a service that I use regardless) than by others that I never (want to) use.

Somehow I ended up doing more configurations than modding, even though I have definitely much more awake time now with the CPAP.

1 Like

Congrats Greg moving to the free (as in free speech) operation system that won’t do anything that you have never asked for, like forcibly rebooting the PC all of a sudden!
Here are a few tips from me:

1. KDE is indeed easy to use, but if you want more light-weight desktop I’d recomment Fluxbox. I’ve been using it for decades and am perfectly happy with it.
  2. Have some terminal multiplexer such as tmux or GNU Screen. They will really help you if you use terminal a lot.
2 Likes

Yeah, and I could have gone for Ubuntu, but then I would have probably ended up getting my data stolen and stuff, according from what I’ve heard. But Gnome is too much like Apple for me, so KDE it is.

I don’t use the Konsole all that much, sure I have tons of scripts that run through it, but I dont manually type into any of those, they are just a single Key press on the Keyboard for me.

And I have Windows 10 on this new Computer, if I ever seriously need that garbage. I originally planned to keep it for Steam Games, but now that Steam Play is better at doing Windows Games than Windows itself, that is thrown out the "Window"s. (pun intended)

As far as I know Adobe Shit is the last thing that Windows might be good for (and most of those people use Apple), now that Valve mostly killed the need for Windows Gaming.

1 Like

Windows XP was the last best version I used until my computer upgrades out grew it’s capabilities. At Overmind’s nudging I started using Ubuntu and I have been using it ever since. I have not had any worries like I did with Windows. Been with Ubuntu nearly 20 years now and no regrets.

3 Likes

I can confirm Windows XP was the best :wink:

2 Likes