Going In Aluminium Tier Through A Backdoor

I have found out that I can simply jump over the tedious bauxite processing by making an HV electrolyzer with which I could electrolyze many things to get alumina directly. So I made it plus an HV dynamo and an iridium diesel engine to power it.

I set up everything and find that this electrolyzer jams when I try to process anything in it—it just takes whatever is there, starts to process, then immediately breaks with the sound and that’s it. I tried different recipes with various EU/t requirements, but they all fail. What gives?

It shall work, and I don’t know why it doesn’t. The diesel engine should give 512 RU/t, the dynamo then must output 352 EU/t and the HV electrolyzer takes 256 to 1024 EU/t. So what’s wrong? I fuel the engine with ethanol, if that’s somehow matters, but I tried nitro fuel in creative mode with the same result.

My guess is that it breaks because too much power is supplied for the recipe. If so, what is the exact value? How much a power requirement can be exceeded before it refuses to process the recipe?

2 Likes

The Recipe dictates EU/t, not the Machine. Look up the EU/t that the RECIPE takes and dont go under it.

1 Like

I’m not going under, I supply much more power than it requires.

2 Likes

How much Power does the Recipe require then?

1 Like

I tried processing garnierite, which requires 28 EU/t. Also I tried dry clay powder, which requires 238 EU/t. And some other things.

2 Likes

the first one is LV, therefore it gets double-overclocked to 448EU/t, the second one is MV so it gets single-overclocked to 952EU/t.

1 Like

I don’t understand the logic behind it at all. And what double-overclock means? I mean it gets multiplied by 16, then why is it double-overclocked? So when this doubling begins?

2 Likes

overclocking is when you put a recipe into a machine with a higher tier than is necessary, it will quadruple the EU/t and half the Time that is needed to process a Recipe, overall costing therefore 4/2=twice as much as doing it in a more efficient lower Tier Machine.

2 Likes

I believe that’s a silly system. If there were a recipe that requires 255 GU/t, and it’s processed in the machine that takes beyond 256 GU/t, and that is supplied with exactly 256 GU/t, then this recipe requirement will get quadrupled. I think that’s not how it should be done. Maybe, the better solution would be to multiply requirements based only on the supplied power and the requirement itself? So, if the requirements is 255 GU/t, and the supplied power is 256 GU/t, it won’t be raised to 1020 GU/t for no reason?

Or it’s just a block, so you can’t skip a tier?

3 Likes

Doesn’t it also process more parallel recipes too?

I always forget about this mechanic because it isn’t obvious.

2 Likes

And one more thing on this: what happens with exceeded power, if the process doesn’t get overclocked? Let’s say, the recipe that takes 16 GU/t is being processed in the 16-64 GU/t machine that is supplied by 64 GU/t? There will be no overclocking as I got it, but what will happen with the excess 48 GU/t? Is it wasted or does it speed up the process? I always thought that it does, but now I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Only if you Tier up the Machine it will give overclocking, so put the Recipe in a Machine that fits its Tier

1 Like

I get it. I’m asking about what happens with the excess power if the recipe is processed in the appropriate machine. Again, the 16 GU/t recipe in the first tier machine that’s powered to its maximum. Does the excess energy get wasted or is it used to speed up the recipe?

2 Likes

No waste, it will just go slightly faster

2 Likes

If you already have HV, didn’t you need aluminum for MV? It’s no surprise you can goto a higher tier and make something lower tier easily.

2 Likes

I didn’t check the recipes for higher tier machines; I thought they would require aluminium as MV machines do. So that’s a surprise for me.

2 Likes

With the Material based Tier System and Tiers kinda being a bit jumbled, im not surprised that you can get HV before MV

1 Like

What a tiers? We just make everything willy nilly and hope it doesn’t explode.

4 Likes

Did someone say explosions!?

2 Likes

Quick! Bring a boiler!

3 Likes